More Tips for Learning How to Write Short Stories:
I like simple. Step by step is what works well and keeps me interested. If you’re the same then this article is for you.
- Try choosing a character to write about first. I’ve found that beginning with a character is easier than trying to come up with an idea to write about.
- Take a character you want to make your protagonist or antagonist and just begin writing the story about them. See where it goes.
- Write the story out without distractions. Don’t edit, or rewrite until the first draft is finished.
- As your story unfolds the uniqueness of your character will be fun to learn about and add to.
- Have you ever tried free association? This is close. Letting the story go where it wants to is something Steven King says he does.
- People ask him what is going to happen in one of his stories that he hasn’t finished and he says: “I don’t know yet” because he doesn’t. It happens as he writes it.